Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Errors in Translation

Good morning dear friends and family. :) How's the whether where you are at? It's a nice rainy day here in Athens, Georgia. It's not horrible though. I enjoy when it thunders and lightnings! Though i has only rained today... No loud thundering quite yet..

This morning, though, I had the opportunity to translate for a woman at her orthodontist appointment. It's kinda funny what actually gets through the translation process. At least it is for me. 

What the orthodontist says:

'Well it seems you have a sever case of *long teeth disease name* and are in need of urgent care from your dentist before any further action of moving or adding missing teeth can take place. If we don't act now you could possibly lose you teeth in the next ten or fifteen years.'

What I say to the patient:

'Uhh, well he says you need to clean your teeth better.... Tic Tac?'

Haha, well it went better than that. But it is a tad nerve-racking having to translate for people. But it is also really fun. :) Will I do it for a living??? ..No. But I'm sure I'll get to be useful to multiple people down the line of my life.

This week we were able to have a meeting with a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy as well as have a baptism in our branch. It ended on a very spiritually high note. :) It was not an investigator of my companion and I but my companion was able to baptize her. She is a 22 year old girl from Nicaragua visiting her family. Or looking to get married.... Or both. I don't know, but she was very ready to receive the gospel despite opposition from some of her family members. 

That is about it for now I suppose. We must be on our way to Walmart. Or Target if we are feeling fancy. Eh, all we are buying is Luck Charms anyway. 

Love you lots!!

Elder Vance

P.S...... More about his zone conf
We had an amazing zone conference with Elder Kopishke from the first quorum of the seventy. He is from Germany so he kinda sounded like President Uchtdorf. He had a better accent though. But the whole meeting was just us aking questions and them him following the Spirit as he answered us. It was a six hour meeting! With lunch of course. And I wished it could have gone longer. It was so gooooood!!!! His wife had a thick German accent and was so cute as she spoke. She looked like she was going to burst as she spoke because she was so happy about the Gospel. Kinda like an overly excited Grammy. :) I loved it!!






No comments:

Post a Comment