Monday, July 8, 2013

Buenos Dias!

I hope everyone is doing well. I know there have been tornadoes and fires and floods all over, so I hope you are all safe and sound! It's getting crazy out there!

I'm safe and sound here. Well at least safe, I'm not so certain how sound I am. 'Safe and sound' that's an interesting phrase when you take a look at it. Being safe is easy to understand, but being sound? What am I supposed to be a noise? Can I at least choose the noise? Like the voice of an orca swimming in its pod, that's the noise I pick to be. But who is the judge on if it's a good sound? Of course that's not what it really means but I am realizing more and more that many of the things I say in English don't make a lot of sense when you break it down. 

In this case the word 'sound' simply has multiple meanings. But when you start recognizing the phrases you use, you will begin to see many of the idioms that just mean something because that's what it means. Confusing? A little. The reason I bring this up is because we have begun teaching an English class at the chapel I go to. The best way to realize how weird your language really is is to try and teach it to someone who doesn't speak it. But I do really enjoy teaching English. It's a chance for me to be in the language-teacher seat for a change. I can sympathize for someone learning English because I have been learning Spanish. In the end the only reason I can speak it at all is because of the Lord's help. :) 

But ya, the english class is something we are going to try and get running and utilize as a finding tool for new investigators. We are already hoping to see a few of our investigators at the class tomorrow. It's fun stuff! This past week we have had a lot of new investigators and lessons taught. Not so hot on the contacts side but it's a skill learning how to balance finding and teaching just right. And i'm just beginning to learn how! :)

I hope your 4th of July was fun and firework-filled! Ours was cloud and rain filled. It's been raining a ton lately! And Georgia rain is fun because out of the blue it will just start dumping buckets of water and then it will be lightly sprinkling the next moment. I think it's fun to watch, not fun when it floods, but I like the rain. Lightning is nice too, not fires though. Fires are mean to people. Fire? Useful. Fires? Mean. Just getting it clear for you.

Overall, things continue to move onward! We seek to find the elect as God continues to touch the hearts of His children. Thank you for your prays not just for me but for all of the missionaries out there. 

"The standard of truth has been erected, no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing.." 

So don't be an unhallowed hand. Well I guess in a way we all are unhallowed hands.. I mean, never mind.

Con mucho amor!

Elder Vance
Giant rubiks cube in front of the high school.

July 3 forecast: Rain

Member family.

Amazing clouds in Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment