Monday, March 25, 2013

Week 7- Georgia is Not Hot


So here I am in the good state of insanity....Oh yes, I am in the State  of Georgia as well. sometimes I take a step back and realize how weird it is to do what I am doing. Well compared to the rest of the world, that is. But then I take another step even further back and take a look at the whole picture and see that this mission fits nicely in the puzzle of life. At least my life. :)

So first, no, it's not hot here. It's actually cold. And windy. And rainy. And this morning it snowed. But I know by summer it'll heat up (at least that's what everyone tells me -.- ) I just hope that comes soon! I like being warm! Second, it is very beautiful here in the south! The first thing everyone on the plane noticed was all of the trees!! So many! They don't have any leaves right now but I hear that it's pretty spectacular once they do. Possibly a little claustrophobic for those not used to them. Being from a dessert where there is, well, nothing all around I'm not too used to trees. But I think I'll manage. If Boy Scouts taught me anything it was how to look at a tree. And occasionally walk around them. And even get stuck in them. But that's a different topic ;)

A lot of you have already heard about my first companion here in Georgia but for those of you who haven't I will let you in on the excitement. My first companion here is an elder by the name of Elder Clark. What's so special about him? Well as it turns out he happens to be my first cousin on my mom's side! I know, right?? I knew we were in the same mission but I didn't really think we would be companions. But when my Mission President told me that I knew my trainer pretty well already I was so excited! No awkward get-to-know-you phase for us! Now it's just the awkward 'Hey, your mom is my Dad's sister' phase... No, it's been awesome! What a tender mercy of the Lord! 

Other than that everything else is pretty much how all missionary work is. Wearing white shirts and ties and knocking on doors. Yup, I don't know if you were aware but that is all that missionary work is. All day. Everyday. For. Two. Years. Haha, well I'm glad it's not actually like that. Only some of the times. And the doors we knock on as Spanish missionaries are mainly trailer doors. That's not a bad thing, it's just a different thing. A whole different culture really. Elder Clark says he feels at home in trailer parks because that's where he gets to use his Spanish the most and he's been out for so long. (I'm actually his last companion. His last and my first, Que bueno!) So sooner or later it will feel like home to me too :)

The area I'm in right now for those of you who know Georgia, and for those of you who don't you can look at Google Maps or something, is the Marrietta Stake. We are in the Cherokee Spanish Branch specifically but we actually cover the entire Stake! Lots of driving! (Ya, we get a car :) ) Love the people so far! All very nice and welcoming of me even with my limited Spanish. I'm both a Greenie and a Gringo! (That's pronounced 'Green-Go' for you other gringos out there.) The food is indeed great! The members like to feed the missionaries a ton! And love to help me with my Spanish :)

Now that i'm in the field I really appreciate even more the letters and emails I get from my friends and family! I can't email back anyone expect my family but I will for sure write you a letter back! It takes about 6 days to get from here to Las Vegas or Utah or ...wherever, but please do write me! check my Facebook for the address! :)

It's all good down here. Have fun wherever you are! Keep me in your prayers. No, I actually take that back. Keep the people of Georgia in your prayers that need to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

Amor, paz y graso de pollo, (Love, peace, and chicken grease)
-Elder Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment