Thursday, July 24, 2014

You're killing me Chris.

I love meeting people! 
Well, I guess it would be more accurate to say that I love meeting nice people! And even more, I enjoy meeting nice people with whom I can relate. Most Latinos are super nice and will talk and give you food; and its awesome we talk and they laugh because you are white and can't eat chili peppers. But for the most part I can't really relate in too many ways with most of them, for most of them have immigrated from their country and are struggling to find work and support a family and don't know English. I definitely understand more about and sympathize more for their cultures and struggles, but I don't really share those struggles with them. So for me it is a sweet treat to knock on a door and be greeted by someone that I can say that I am similar to in personality and experience. I'm thinking now of a funny guy named Chris that we recently ran into.

"Nice to meet you, Sir. We are missionaries for Jesus Christ. How's your day been going?", we say to a man in his late twenties sporting glasses and a beard.

"...I'm alive.", he replies with a comically-sinister look in his eyes. (Kinda like this --> O.o)

From the get-go I knew that if given the opportunity I could be good friends with this guy. With a little talking we found that he was a self-proclaimed, anti-social guy who enjoyed reading and had actually read part of the Book of Mormon thanks to his old Mormon friend from a while back. I guess it's just the part of me that doesn't want people to feel left out that gravitates towards those who get classified as 'the nerd' or 'loner' because they play video games or like comic books or just are a bit awkward around people (Who doesn't do awkward things around people at some point??). And because I too have a special place in my heart for some good ol' video games and certain cartoon shows and other 'nerdy' things, I feel like I can connect with others who do as well! 

So we talked with Chris about what the message was that we shared and tried to get him to let us in and talk more. He was somewhat resistant claiming to have social-anxiety and just wanting to 'go crawl in a corner somewhere and sleep.' That's when I looked up to the ceiling and said, 'You're killing me Chris!' In the end we gave him a Book of Mormon and our card. He thanked us for being friendly and talking. I hope he calls us or that we see him again. But whatever the case I enjoyed the chance to meet that guy. Haha, oh Chris...

Loving people is awesome! Connecting is sweet! Sharing the Gospel is where it's at!

Te amo, te adoro, te compro un loro.

Elder Vance


No comments:

Post a Comment