Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Libre Soy

Letter from May 26, 2014:

My, oh my, another week has gone by.

Another great week here in Georgia with all of it's rain, mud and mosquitoes alike. Though I really am not fond of the mosquitoes. I have, like, five bites on my right arm right now. Not too fun. On the bright side my hand-eye coordination and fox-like agility are increasing as I continually try to smash those little buggers! Watch out, mosquitoes in Las Vegas and Utah! This Elder is returning with more than just his testimony.

I hope everyone has been having a great Memorial Day. I wasn't aware that today would be Memorial Day until yesterday, which really helped explain all of the many flags and names of war veterans around town. We met a friendly, old war veteran the other day. He spoke to us of how the standards of the world were really dropping. How right his was. We love when we meet people who share morals with us, not matter what religion. :) We are actually going to go back and help him trim his yard this week. 

Have you seen the movie Frozen? I have...not. But i have seen bits and pieces as it has been played in the many homes of the people we visit. I was able to catch most of the song 'Let it go' in Spanish. It's called 'Libre Soy', which literally means 'I am free'. I like that. I am free. As you have most likely seen I enjoy seeing things as they apply to the Gospel. So naturally the phrase 'I am free' fits perfectly. The Gospel of Jesus Christ really is the only way to be completely free. Free from what? Well through Christ's love and mercy we are all unconditionally free from the permanent effects of physical death. And through our faithful obedience to Him we can be freed from the shackles of sin, fear, doubt, and darkness as well as ultimately be freed from spiritual death. Now of course those shackles may not be all loosed at the same time, but that is why God requires patience. It all ends up fitting together in one, big learning and growth process for us that leads us to a glorious end that lasts forever when we can at last say, 'Librey soy. I am free'. Pretty neat, huh? I love the verse that touches on this subject in the Doctrine and Covenants:

"Ye are not able to abide the presence of God now.. wherefore, continue in patience until ye are perfected." (D&C 67:13).

Sorry, it's required in my contract that I write lots of spiritual messages in these emails home. Hope you don't mind. :) But of course I am no better off or have more knowledge on these subjects than the next guy. Just trying to add my 'two cents' to the inspirational conversation.

Que dios les bendiga mucho y que les envie mucha lluvia!


-Elder Vance

No comments:

Post a Comment